Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Banana Crumb Muffins

Red, yellow, salmon & white tulips and the yellow daffodils are blooming in our front cut-outs. White Viburnum blossoms line our street. The Peonies have buds! What a great sight to behold as I look through our front bow window while munching on a Banana Crumb Muffin.

Two days ago there were 2 overripe Bananas on my counter and now there are none! :) Those 2 brown spotted Bananas beckoned to be used (or tossed), so I located my Banana Crumb Muffin recipe. All of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen, but I made a few changes.

In the past two years I have been substituting Olive Oil for Vegetable Oil when baking/cooking. This muffin recipe called for melted and cooled Butter/Margarine, so I decided to substitute Olive Oil. I also decided to use less Granulated and Brown Sugars than my original recipe calls for. The result - Yum! 12 very moisty Banana flavored muffins!

This is a great way to enjoy Bananas! :) My Hubby gave the muffins two thumbs up!

Banana Crumb Muffins

Oven: 375° F

18 – 20 Minutes
Yield: 12 Muffins

Ingredients

1½ Cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
½ Cup White Sugar
2 Large OVERRIPE Bananas, mashed
2 Egg Whites, lightly beaten
1/3 Cup Olive Oil (for sauteing & baking)

Topping Ingredients
¼ Cup or a little less Brown Sugar
2 TBS. Flour
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1 TBS. Softened Butter/Margarine

Method

1. Mix Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt & White Sugar in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl combine mashed Bananas, Egg Whites &
Olive Oil.
3. Stir Banana mixture into Flour mixture until moistened.
4. Spoon batter equally into paper lined muffin tin.
* * *
5. For Topping: In another small bowl mix together Brown Sugar, extra Flour, Cinnamon & softened Butter/Margarine. Sprinkle an equal amount over batter of each muffin. Press lightly.
6. Bake in a Preheated 375°F Oven, 18 – 20 Minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester that has been inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool.

The warm weather brought out flowers, our outdoor grill and Banana Crumb Muffins! :) When I have 2 more overripe bananas, I will be baking these again!

12 muffins were too many for us to eat. Well, we really should have a little will power … so I placed a few cooled muffins in a Ziploc Freezer bag. You guessed it – into the freezer they went, to enjoy another week. :)

When you have overripe Bananas do you use them in baking or do you eat them?

Enjoy!
Yummy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look so delicious and I can just imagine the wonderful smell filling your home while they are baking. I love the picture of the flowers in your yard too. I hope you have a very special and beautiful day ♥

Mary Bergfeld said...

These muffins have me intrigued. The aroma as they bake must be fantastic. Your photos are lovely and very spring-like. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Happy@Home said...

I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Turning those 2 black bananas in my fridge into these scrumptious looking muffins!! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Do you find that substituting oil works in place of sticks of butter or margarine also? I have cut way back on my baking because I know I shouldn't be eating butter and margarine. I do know that canola and olive oil are healthier choices.

The view out your window is gorgeous.

Stacey said...

JG, those sound delicious! I need to bake for my good friend who just had surgery on Thursday. These will be great for she and her husband to pull out as needed. Thanks!