Growing up my mom always used a boxed mix when baking Cornmeal Muffins. For so many years I used that same brand. Then, one day a neighbor shared a recipe she uses to bake Cornbread. She had gotten it from another woman who bakes. That is always a good indication that the recipe will be really good. It is! I've baked this delicious Cornbread so many times in 2020 and continue to bake it in 2021!
O.K., so I had the recipe for maybe 8 years. I cannot even remember why I decided to get the needed ingredients. Ground Cornmeal was not something that I had on hand. Well, now I sure do! A bag of cornmeal sealed in a Ziploc bag is now always in my fridge.
This Cornbread is just delicious! It is also easy to prepare. I changed the recipe a bit- like I always do. I use Olive Oil and bake it in my 8" rose colored glass Pyrex baking dish.
Now that I've kept you in suspense about the recipe, here it is:
Oven Temperature: 350°F Baking Time: 50 Minutes
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
3/4 Cups Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 and 1/2 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil for baking & sauteing
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl beat 2 Eggs.
- Add the Milk to the Eggs and stir well.
- Then add the Olive Oil to the Eggs/ Milk and stir well.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Stir well and pour into an 8' x 8" pan that has been sprayed with PAM.
- Bake for 50 Minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Cool and enjoy.
This Cornbread is so delicious! It is the recipe that I had been searching for- for years.