It is a two step process. On Day 1 the dough is made, wrapped and then stored in the fridge overnight. On Day 2 my cookie cutters, decorated sugars, rolling pin & rolling mat are used.
|Rolling out the dough that has been refrigerated, overnight.|
An added + is that after they are baked and cooled, these cookies can be packaged and stored in the freezer until the holiday arrives. Now, a double batch of these scrumptious family faves, are ready and waiting in our freezer.
***Unsalted Butter works best in this recipe! The stiff dough is easier to work with.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies printable recipe card
Yield: About 5 dozen, depending on size
4 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup unsalted Butter, softened
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (can be Fat Free)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Colored Sugars for Decorating
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, beat.
- Add in Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Nutmeg.
- While beating on Low, slowly add Flour, 1 Cup at a time.
- Add in Vanilla and Sour Cream. Beat on Medium until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on plastic wrap, wrap dough.
- Place wrapped dough on aluminum foil and wrap well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into four parts.
- On well floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on pan/sheet 1" apart. (Maybe 12 cookies to a sheet.)
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.
- Bake 10 - 11 Minutes. Bottom of cookies will be a light golden brown.
- Remove with spatula to wire cooling racks.
- When cool store in airtight containers.
If you want to treat your family and friends to a sugar cookie that is light and contains a hint of Nutmeg, take out your cookie pans/sheets and the cooling racks! These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are just the best!