Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Butternut Squash Muffins with Currants

Butternut Squash Muffins with Currants
"Totally awesome!" was the review of a warm Butternut Squash Muffin after it had cooled for about 20 minutes. 

There has not been much baking going on in my kitchen this past 21/2 weeks.  My "common cold" did not feel ordinary to me!  Friday evening at dinner we enjoyed Baked wild caught Sockeye Salmon, Butternut Squash along with a Baked Potato.   Planning ahead, I'd saved 1/2 cup of the Butternut Squash before it was even placed on our dinner table.

I had plans!  All I could envision was a batch of Butternut Squash Muffins - with currants.  On Saturday my kitchen was filled with the aroma of Butternut Squash, Cinnamon & Nutmeg.  It took little time to place 12 golden muffins on the cooling rack.  Before I knew it, 11 muffins remained.  A warm muffin is a fave with my DH.
After taking pan out of oven, I tip the muffins in the pan. 
Then remove them to place on a cooling rack to cool.
***Egg Whites, Soy Milk, Olive Oil for baking & sauteing are always ingredients in my muffin recipes, any time of year.  This recipe keeps in with the theme of Heart Healthy February!  It's easy, yummy & moisty!  The addition of Currants = Yum!  If & whenever you have a 1/2 cup of Butternut Squash, bake a batch!  Better yet, if you have 1 cup, bake a double batch & freeze most of them to enjoy later. 

***Yes, Pumpkin can be substituted for the Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash Muffins with Currants
Oven:  400°F
Yield:  12 Muffins


Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt 
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Egg Whites (or 1 Whole Egg)
3/4 cup Soy Milk
1/4 cup Olive Oil (for Sauteing & Baking)
1/2 cup mashed Butternut Squash
1/4 cup Currants

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Place muffin liners in muffin pan.
  3. Combine first 6 dry ingredients.  Stir to mix.
  4. Separate Egg Whites.  Place Egg Whites in small bowl and beat with fork.  (If using 1 Whole Egg, beat with fork.)
  5. Add Soy Milk (Milk), Olive Oil & Butternut Squash to Egg Whites, stir.
  6. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.  
  7. Add Currants.
  8. Mix all ingredients until moistened.  Batter will be lumpy.
  9. Fill muffin cups by evenly dividing batter.
  10. Bake 20 - 22 minutes in 400°F oven until muffins are lightly browned on top.
  11. Remove muffins from pan immediately.
  12. Cool muffins on racks.
Currants are a great addition here.  Yes, Raisins can be used, but I prefer the small currants.  These muffins are totally awesome!  :)  

Tonight, Butternut Squash was the veggie at dinner.  After all, it is a fave veggie here!  Can you guess what is now waiting in our fridge???  Much Snow is forecasted for Thursday.  Our snow blower will get more exercise!

Enjoy!
Yummy!


~and
Happy Valentine's Day!!!
                           

2 comments:

Stacey said...

That sounds delicious! It's so interesting to me to read the recipes that other people choose. I've never used butternut squash or currants. I guess it's like you never using avocados until a year or so ago. :)

Get well soon!

JG said...

Stacey- I do remember the avocado post! :) They are so yummy! I've learned about/tried many new recipes by reading other blogs, too. Butternut Squash is always served as part of our New England Thanksgiving dinner. It's a fave with my fam, so I steam/mash/freeze it for year round. I use Currants when baking Scones.
~Judy