Friday, April 4, 2014

Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry
My Slow Cooker is used so often!  I enjoy the quick prep time and also the great aroma that floats from my kitchen for a few hours while my slow Cooker is working.  Last week a Slow Cooker/ Crock Pot recipe caught my eye when I scrolled on McCormick's site.  A Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Curry recipe!  Chicken is a staple here, so I kept reading.  An apple - nice!  Raisins - I was definitely hooked.  The next day we totally enjoyed Chicken Curry served over Rice.  "Rice is Nice" and this is my fave method to cook Rice.

There were changes going on when I prepared this yummy entree:
  • I really don't like instant rice, unless I'm using my MIL's Rice Pudding recipe, that uses instant rice.  For that reason, I did not follow the McCormick recipe exactly.
  • My Slow Cooker has a teflon coating, so I usually place washed baby carrots in the bottom of the pot in many slow Cooker recipes.  The carrots prevent the meat (chicken here) from drying out on the bottom.  Can you tell that I once had a bad experience?  An added plus:  Those nutritious very tender carrots tasted so good here.









Extra portions to be placed in my fridge
In my photos the fluffy Rice is not plated with this yummy steaming flavorful Chicken Curry on top.  The aroma was so enticing - we could not wait for me to take out my camera and focus.  The extra portions shown above were covered with foil and refrigerated.  The Rice & Chicken Curry were reheated 2 nights later for another yummy dinner!  Sooo goood!

The Raisins & the unpeeled Apple cut into chunks added with the Curry Powder taste so good!  The carrots pick up a little sweetness, too.

Chicken Curry with Rice
                                            inspired by McCormick 

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) pkg. rinsed Baby Carrots
2 lbs. boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
2 Bay Leaves
1 large Apple cored & cut into chunks - Cortland or Empire
1/4 Cup Raisins

1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon dehydrated Onions

*  *  *
2 ounces Water
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 can (14.5 ounces) Chicken Broth
         (I use Fat Free/Lower Sodium Broth.)

Method:
  1. Spray Slow Cooker pot with PAM.
  2. Wash Baby Carrots & place on bottom of Slow Cooker pot.
  3. Rinse Chicken Breasts under cool running water & place on Carrots.
  4. Add 2 Bay leaves.
  5. Wash Apple.  Core & cut into chunks.  Add on top of Chicken.
  6. Sprinkle on Raisins.
  7. Add Curry Powder, Paprika & Garlic Powder.
  8. Sprinkle on Dehydrated Onions.
  9. In a bowl, combine Water, Flour & 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth.  Stir until smooth.
  10. Add remaining Broth to bowl, stir.
  11. Add Water, Flour, Broth combo to Slow Cooker pot.
  12. Place lid on top.
  13. Set temperature to HighCook for 4 hours.
  14. Start preparing the Rice about 40 Minutes before turning off the Slow Cooker.  Click for Recipe
This is absolutely delicious!  Take your Slow Cooker/ Crock Pot out and make this entree.  Full of flavor and very tender!

Enjoy!
Yummy!
     

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I try to make a crock pot meal at least once a week...it's so easy and nutritious. This would be a good recipe for the crock pot! I love the flavor of curry. Enjoy your weekend my friend! Sweet hugs!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- You'd enjoy this! Curry + Paprika flavoring this tender chicken. The sun is shining & high 50's = a great weekend!
~Judy

Pam said...

I haven't gotten the crock pot out for a while and will have to do that. This recipe really sounds good except for the curry but then it wouldn't be chicken curry. Meals like that are great when you can heat up the leftovers later in the week!

JG said...

Pam- Slow Cookers/ Crock Pots are great!
~Judy