Sunday, August 14, 2011

~Cucumber Salad~

The hard bound red Treasured Polish Recipes For Americans cookbook is located in my large collection of cookbooks.  It's a cherished gift that I received in 1973.  In this red cookbook are many delicious recipes that my fam has enjoyed.  My notes on the Babka include "excellent".  It requires two risings and five egg yolks, so I haven't baked it in a few years.  

 Last week we had purchased two cucumbers at a local roadside stand and they had found a home in the veggie bin in our fridge.  Now in this cookbook is a recipe for Cucumber Salad.  My sons were not fond of this type of salad, so I haven't prepared it in a number of years.  Time marches on...  Guess what delicious salad was prepared one night this past week?  My DH & I enjoyed it!  Thinly sliced fresh cucumber pieces were covered with sour cream (fat free) that contained bits of fresh chives, a little salt and a bit of sugar.  I used less salt & sugar.  Yes, there are specific directions, but it is a tasty crunchy salad!

Cucumber Salad adapted from Treasured Polish Recipes For Americans

Ingredients:
(2) Cucumbers
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (Fat Free)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
Ground Black Pepper (a sprinkle)
1 Tablespoon Chives, chopped

Method:
  1. Wash & dry cucumbers.
  2. Peel cucumbers.
  3. Cut into very thin slices.
  4. Place very thin cucumber slices in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
  5. Let stand 10 minutes.
  6. Drain.
  7. Plunge cucumber slices into cold water and drain.
  8. Place drained cucumbers in fridge for 30 minutes.
  9. In a small bowl combine Sour Cream, Salt, Sugar, Ground Pepper & chopped Chives.
  10. Before serving combine dressing with cucumber slices.  
This week we will enjoy it again.  Three or four Cherry or Grape Tomatoes will be added on top.  Fresh local tomatoes are also abundant and taste delicious!

Enjoy!
Yummy!
             

3 comments:

Rita said...

Love this type of salad, but haven't made it in years; thanks for the reminder.
Rita

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love cucumbers in sour cream and your version sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

JG said...

Rita- Easy & delicious!

Mary- A simple dressing for cucumbers that tastes so good on a hot evening.