Monday, September 26, 2011

Where is...

... that 5 lb. bag of all purpose Flour that's always waiting in the wings in my pantry???  A 5 lb. bag of King Arthur Unbleached Flour was the only flour to be found.  That was totally surprising to me!  My plan for breakfast Friday AM was Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes and everything was good to go.  Well, maybe with the exception of locating flour.  We've had an HHH summer and I have not heated the oven too often, so my recollection of my flour quantity is a bit hazy.  After staring into my empty flour canister, I usually just walk down the hall to my pantry and the needed ingredient is located.  I always purchase an extra when on special.

Not on Friday.  One makes due with what one has, so the King Arthur bag was opened.  I learned that King Arthur Unbleached Flour makes some mighty tasty pancakes!  I will be using this again.  Could not even taste a difference.  WooHoo!

So the day continued along on a very bright note!  In the afternoon my other plan was to use my West Bend Slow CookerChicken Florentine a la Slow Cooker would be bubbling along on my counter top.  Once again, the pantry door was opened.  No Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup to be found!   There always is a Plan B in my kitchen.  Using 12 oz. of Light & Fat Free College Inn Chicken Broth along with 3 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour as a substitute for the condensed soup, my West Bend bubbled along as planned.  The Chicken Florentine tasted soo good!

***First the Flour was combined with about 4 oz. of the broth before adding in the remaining amount of broth. 

You might be wondering just how 3 Tablespoons of all purpose flour suddenly appeared.  Years ago I took a suggestion from my younger son:  Fill a 2 Cup container with all purpose flour, so whenever a small amount of flour is needed, the heavier canister does not need to be taken down from the shelf in my cabinet.  From the day he made that suggestion, I heeded it.  I find that my sons have wonderful ideas very often!   

I was 2 for 2 on Friday!  Now that made my day!  I also have two more tips to add to the "Thoughtful Tips" page located at the top of my blog.  WooHoo!

Enjoy!
Yummy!

10 comments:

Rita said...

Today you have a post filled with wise tips and that chicken florentine; wow. Love the idea of saving some flour in a smaller container. I am really having arthritis problems and this wiil be put on my to do list this afternoon. Thanks.
Rita

Rita said...

Me Again; good idea to use chicken broth and flour to substitute soup. I wish we had King Arthur flour around here.
Rita

Pam said...

I too wish we had King Arthur flour here. Guess I will have to order some online. lol Way to go for your son with the good tip.

JG said...

Rita- Thanks! After my son's suggestion for me I now keep a 2 cup plastic covered container of Flour and Sugar in a 1 cup covered container, both on a low shelf. The 5 lb. larger containers are stored higher in my cabinet.

There must be another unbleached flour for you to use.

Pam- I never knew that King Arthur flour is sold in specific areas.

Sons do have GREAT ideas! :)

~Judy

Anonymous said...

That son sounds really smart!

JG said...

Anonymous- He sure is! :)

~Judy

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I love this story! You were able to turn something not so good into something fabulous! A good day and sounds like a wonderful solution for go-to's.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a marvelous fall weekend, Judy!

xxoo

PS: way to go to your son for being a genious!

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Thank you so much for the handy tips. Love the idea of keeping flour in a small container. I'm definitely going to do that. :)

JG said...

Sweet Cottage Dreams- It was a great day! My son had a really helpful suggestion for me. Whenever he's back home he smiles whenever I take that small Flour container down from my cabinet to make gravy! Oh, wait...he makes the gravy! :)

alskamom- I pulled out the 2 cup container of Flour, again, today. Comes in so handy! I noticed Flour is "on special" later in the week at my local grocery store. Definitely need to purchase a couple of bags. :)

~Judy

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

It is always satisfying to substitute with what you have on hand. Your slowed cooked chicken florentine sounds delicious.