If you are searching for an easy to bake cookie recipe to share during the upcoming holidays, this is the recipe for you! Hermits are a long time family fave.
This cookie is baked in a large cookie pan. The stiff dough is separated into thirds. Make a roll (log) with each third of the dough before placing in the cookie pan. Flatten the roll - making sure the flattened rolls do not connect in the pan. Then top each roll with the beaten reserved Egg Yolk. This gives the Hermits the glossy topping after baking.
|Before placing in oven.|
|Ready for the taste test!|
Hermits printable Recipe Card
Oven: 375°F 23- 25 Minutes
¾ cup solid Crisco Shortening
1 and ½ Cups Sugar
¼ Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Eggs – (Reserve about 1 teaspoon for coating)
1 Cup Raisins
3 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ginger
½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Using mixer, beat Shortening, Sugar, Molasses & Water. Beat until creamy.
- Reserve about 1 teaspoon of Egg with a little Yolk. Add Eggs & beat.
- Now add Baking Soda, Spices & Flour. Flour is added ¼ cup at a time and mixed into batter, Otherwise you will be peering through a white mist. :)
- Fold in Raisins using big spoon or spatula.
- Spray PAM on a large cookie pan.
- Divide dough into three pieces. Make three rows of dough on
cookie pan, leaving about 1½ ” border on each end. Dough is very sticky.
- Coat top with reserved Egg – use back of teaspoon to spread.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 23- 25 minutes (25 minutes in my gas oven).
- Cool 15 minutes & cut into diagonals. I throw away end pieces- too hard after cooled.
- Remove from cookie pan and store in a container after cooled.