This is a great meal to prepare in a Slow Cooker or in a Crock Pot. I remember finding a variation of it originally in "some" magazine a few years ago when I was writing (typing) a cookbook with easy recipes for my son. It was the summer after he graduated from college. That summer a crash course in food & food safety took place in our kitchen. After coming home from his summer job in the evening, he & I whipped up dinners. As a mom I needed to know that he had some kitchen experience - before he started the next phase of his education that September. After all, he could not eat out all the time. It worked well! Now, I smile when he & his family are visiting "back home" and he asks if he can help in the kitchen. :) The answer is always "Yes"!
My younger son learned his basic cooking skills using the same method. I had compiled 2 cookbooks 3 years earlier. Whenever he is "back home" he is our "Garlic Mashed Potatoes" guy. :) Nice!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
1 Green Pepper, cut into strips
1- 1 and 1/2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Cup sliced Okra - Optional (I use frozen & defrosted.)
1 Tablespoon Dehydrated Onion
1 Tablespoon Dehydrated Parsley
2 cans 14 oz. Red Kidney Beans, drained, rinsed & drained again
1 can Plum Tomatoes - 15- 22 oz. - drained & cut into chunks
2- 3 teaspoons Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 can 14.5 oz. Chicken Broth (Low Sodium, Low Fat)
3 Tablespoons Flour
Sometimes 8 oz. Tomato Sauce is added to the pot before placing the lid on top.
- Place Pepper Strips in Slow Cooker Pot.
- Add Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts on top.
- Top with sliced Okra.
- Sprinkle on Onion & Parsley.
- Add Red Kidney Beans.
- Top with Tomato Chunks.
- Sprinkle on Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin & Oregano.
- In small bowl blend 3 Tablespoons Flour with about 1 Cup Chicken Broth until smooth.
- Add remaining Broth to bowl & blend together.
- Pour liquid over ingredients in Slow Cooker.
- Add Cover.
- Cook on High for 3 and 1/2 hours. Reduce to Medium for 1/2 hour.
- Before serving, stir Chili. The tender Chicken breaks into smaller pieces.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Enjoy with a dollop of low fat sour cream & rye bread.
A steaming bowl of Chicken Chili at dinner tastes great during our long lasting "cold snap"! The remaining portions are in our fridge. The seasonings in the Chili are absorbed by the other ingredients. Yes, sometimes Ziploc Freezer Containers of this yummy "comfort food" is placed in the freezer.
We will Enjoy again!