Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Banana Apricot Bread

Banana Apricot Bread - Yum!
What??  The Bananas are way too ripe for me to enjoy eating??!!  What am I saying? I do not like bananas! It was not good.  Well, it started that way- not being good.  Then, a recipe was located that I had not used in a very long time!  It all began when my fruit bowl contained 3 bananas that were definitely too ripe for me.  Suddenly, I remembered my conversation with one of my DILs about Banana Bread.  That led me to search for the "old recipe" that I always used so many years ago.  When my 2 sons were young I baked Banana Bread often.  Perhaps I had baked one too many breads using that fruit or it was then that I realized I do not like bananas.

Time does move on!  My younger son enjoys spinach!  Bananas are once again part of my daily diet.  Gotta' love that potassium!  As time has moved on I now bake with Olive Oil, Egg Whites & Soy Milk.  They are great substitutions for butter/ margarine/ vegetable oil, whole eggs & whole/ low fat milk.  I also add Cinnamon & Nutmeg into the batter so often when baking!

My old fave recipe was included in the 1978 printing of the Home-Baked Breads section of the McCall's COOKBOOK COLLECTION.  The recipe was located and I used my substitutions.  Also, 7 Apricots were cut into small pieces and added to the batter.  While this quick bread was baking, my kitchen smelled so good!  It was a hint that this would be a yummy Banana Apricot Bread!  It is delicious!  Whenever you have 3 yucky looking bananas, use this great recipe!  Keep some apricots on hand, too!  They contain potassium, also & they sure taste great here!

Banana Apricot Bread

Oven Temperature:  350°F     Baking Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

2 and 1/2 cups Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Sugar - I use slightly less.
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 cup Olive Oil for baking & sauteing
2 Egg Whites
1/2 cup Milk
3 overripe Bananas, mashed
7- 8 dried Apricots

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Spray 9" bread pan with PAM.
  3. In large bowl mix together Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Sugar, Cinnamon & Nutmeg.
  4. In small bowl beat Egg Whites until frothy.
  5. Mash Bananas in another small bowl.
  6. Add Olive Oil, Egg Whites, Milk & mashed Bananas to dry ingredients.
  7. Stir together until combined.
  8. Cut Apricots into pieces. (Cut in half. Cut each half into 3 pieces.)
  9. Add Apricot pieces to batter & stir.
  10. Pour batter into bread pan.
  11. Bake at 350°F oven for 60 Minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
  12. Place on rack to cool for 10 Minutes.
  13. Remove from pan & cool on rack.  
This is a very yummy Banana Bread!  Amazing combination - Bananas + Apricots!  Another 15 years will not pass before I bake this one again, especially with my additions & substitutions!  I now have more dried Apricots!  Bake this bread, you'll enjoy it!

Enjoy!
Yummy!
        

2 comments:

Pam said...

This bread sounds delicious! I'm not a big fan of plain bananas but like it in a recipe. Sometimes the old recipes are the best!
Thanks for this one!

JG said...

Pam- Agreement here! :)

~Judy