Monday, September 28, 2009

A Bushel of Butternut!



While using a recipe that calls for Pumpkin have you ever replaced Butternut Squash for the Pumpkin? I always do. My mom was a great cook and I learned that little tidbit from her. While growing up, my family always had two large gardens. Every year Butternut Squash were harvested in September. Some were stored to eat in the Fall, but most of the squash was steamed, mashed, packed in plastic bags, dated and placed in my family’s large freezer.

When my Hubby & I lived in an apartment we did have a garden and bought an upright freezer. Now, we no longer have a family garden, but we purchase a bushel of Butternut Squash every September from Meadowbrook Farm in East Longmeadow. We prepare the squash and freeze portions in Ziploc Bags that will be enjoyed all year at dinnertime. And… yes, yummy desserts will also be baked in my oven. One family favorite dessert is Butternut Squash Bread.

Butternut Squash Bread is on my agenda this week! I always bake two breads. One is enjoyed after it cools, when it can be sliced. The second bread is cooled, wrapped in foil, labelled and placed in our freezer. For the recipe click here and a printable recipe card awaits. This recipe yields two breads. We also enjoy this bread on Thanksgiving morning. If you wish to bake one bread, use half of the ingredients listed.

Yes, I have replaced some of the Eggs with Egg Whites – it is that “watching cholesterol thing” that I try to do.

When baking One Whole Egg equals Two Egg Whites.

Butternut Squash Bread is absolutely yummy!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning. Your bread certainly sounds delicious. I love how you included the cards. I think it's so nice for girt giving. I hope you have a lovely day ♥