Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fantastic French Toast


Last Friday morning I envisioned eating French Toast topped with maple syrup for breakfast. Now, I was not planning on taking the milk and the eggs from our fridge to make this breakfast. My plan included the simple act of searching in my freezer to locate Raisin Cinnamon French Toast and heating it in our microwave. Well, that was not in the cards! An additional item was quickly added to my grocery list – Pepperidge Farm Raisin Cinnamon Bread.

On Saturday morning the milk and the eggs were located in our fridge and the griddle was heated. Golden, delicious, sweet Fantastic French Toast was on our breakfast table. Yes, there were extra pieces. After they cooled, each piece was placed in a sandwich bag. The sandwich bags were then placed in a Ziploc Freezer Bag, labelled and stored in the freezer.

***For many years I prepared this scrumptious breakfast using Cinnamon Bread. However, one day my son suggested I just try making it with Raisin Cinnamon Bread. Raisins are tops in my family, as you can guess. I used the bread containing the raisins and found it top notch French Toast. From then on Raisin Cinnamon Bread it was!

There will be another busy morning when I will search for French Toast in our freezer. On that morning the microwave will help with another very tasty breakfast. Yummy!

When making Fantastic French Toast, I use Egg Whites to cut back on the cholesterol. Click here for printable recipe card.

Fantastic French Toast

Ingredients
(1) Loaf Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread or Raisin Cinnamon Bread
(2) Whole Eggs
(8) Eggs Whites
(1) Cup Milk (I use Soy or 1% Milk)

Method
1. Place Whole Eggs and Egg Whites in a rectangular container and beat with a fork. (I use a 1 & ½ Qt. CorningWare container.)
2. While beating mixture add in Milk and continue beating to combine.
3. Heat non-stick griddle or skillet on medium heat.
4. Dunk each bread slice in mixture coating both sides and then place on the griddle. (Two or three browning at once)
5. The underside will be golden brown when it is time to turn the bread slice over with a spatula.
6. Turn over and brown other side.
7. Serve with Maple Syrup.

Enjoy!
Yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and I know what I'm having for breakfast on Sunday. Thank you so much for the recipe. I hope you have a lovely weekend.