Friday, February 24, 2012

O-W-L


Blogland is GREAT!  There are a number of talented bloggie friends that I visit.  Sometimes I leave comments...sometimes I don't.  Does that sound familiar?  In the past year I found the absolutely cutest OWL on "A Spoonful of Sugar".  The kind of cute that a very young child would find really cool.  So, of course I bookmarked it!  Clicking on that site led me to the Bernina site and then onto Ashley's Tutorial for her Snuggly Owl.  Ohhh!  I bookmarked that link, also.  :)

My little grandson enjoys learning about animals, colors and just about everything else.  The last time the little guy was over, "O-W-L" became the word of the day.  Needless to say I remembered that cute little owl pattern in my "Sewing Projects" Bookmarks.

A few days ago we drove in to visit with a non pill fleece stuffed owl.  It's about 9" in height - perfect for a little toddler's hands.  And it's totally washable.  I sure do remember that stuffed toys do land in the wierdest places.  Do you remember those days? 

For the eyes - I chose to machine stitch fleece circles onto larger cotton circles and then made Yo-Yos.  Then, I hand stitched the eyes and the fleece beak onto the body.  The cotton feet are machine stitched.  (Owl will stay in one piece - no problem!) 

Before Owl went on the Road Trip with us, I did take a photo.  I do see a larger version in my future!  I'm so happy that Jo-Ann's opened just over my town's border!  I have Jo-Ann's coupons!  My Janome has really been humming!  :)

Enjoy!




**UPDATE: 8/22/12**
"Baby Owl" took a Road Trip during the day with the little guy back to Western MA this past weekend.  He's aged really well and enjoys traveling in the car, often.  His colors are as bright as ever!  The washable non pill Fleece was a great choice in fabric. :)
~JG                 

14 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

OH MY! Now you have me in the mood to make owls! They are just precious and a great pattern to download! Thanks! I'm having a giveaway! I hope you can stop by soon! Hugs! ♥

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

That is such a cute pillow! I'm sure your grandson will love his owl pillow for years to come.

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- It's so FuN to sew this O-W-L!

Carol- Hooty has a home for a long time! :)

~Judy

Claire Jain said...

That is so precious! I love his spotted wings :-)

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Judy, he is sooooo cute! Great job!!!!

xxoo

JG said...

Claire Jain- Thanks! I was happy to find the spotted fleece in my stash! :)

Sweet Cottage Dreams- Thanks! It was a FuN quick project and the little guy is happy. :)

~Judy ***Next time I work with eyes, I'll hand stitch the inner eye to the Yo-Yo rather than machine stitch. The fleece is thick when hiding raw edges.

Anonymous said...

How adorable! You are quite a talented lady! You cook and sew. I'll bet your grandson just loved his little owl!

Heather said...

Oh, that is so cute! I'll bet your grandson just loves it! :o)

Rita said...

I do love your owl; he is adorable. I have to sen this to my daughter in law; she collects owl.
Rita

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Oh my gosh, that owl is so darn cute. I know my little grandson would love him. I have some fleece in my stash that would be perfect for this project. Thanks for sharing this.

JG said...

Charli and me- Thank you for your sweet comments!

Heather- He does! :)

Rita- This is really cool for kids of all ages.

Cathy- The stash comes in so handy!

~Judy

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is darling. I'm going to "pin" it. I hope it will bring lots of traffic your way. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

JG said...

Mary, Wow! Thanks! Now you have me interested in Pinterest. :)

Christina Kim said...

Aww, this is just so cute, I would love to cuddle with it all the time myself!:) I agree that blogosphere is a lovely place and there are just so many wonderful people out there who are just so nice;)