|Ladling Chicken a la King over Toasted Bread|
By roasting this larger chicken weighing about 7 lbs., more dinners with chicken would be enjoyed. Chicken a la King! Chunks of Chicken in a creamy sauce along with mixed veggies served over toasted Oatmeal Bread. Yes, with me it's always all about the Oatmeal!
After removing the cooked chicken from the bones, the larger bones were saved to prep Chicken Broth. It still sounds similar to Thanksgiving weekend. My Revere Dutch Oven containing water, chicken bones, Bay Leaves and a few shakes of Oregano, Sweet Basil, dehydrated Onion & Parsley simmered for about 2 hours. I was on my way to prep: Chicken a la King. It's always yummy, but using homemade chicken broth makes it even better!
I made 4X the recipe listed below. The extra servings are now in my inventory of homemade dinners in the freezer! The Ziploc Freezer Containers are so useful! The $7.50 Roaster yielded 6 dinners including the roasted slices with the trimmings the first night.
Chicken a la King
Serves 2 - 3 Adults
1/4 Cup Margarine/Butter (I use unsalted.)
1/3 Cup Flour
1 Cup Chicken Broth
(when homemade broth is not available, I use College Inn
Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth.)
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Chicken chunks (cooked), cut up, more if desired
2 Cups Mixed Vegetables (cooked)
* * * *
Sliced Bread, Toasted- 1½ -2 slices/person
- Melt Margarine/Butter in skillet.
- Remove skillet from Medium heat and slowly stir in Flour.
- Return to heat and slowly add in Chicken Broth & Milk while slowly stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring over heat until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Add cooked Chicken chunks.
- Add in cooked vegetables.
- Stir and heat mixture for 1 - 2 Minutes.
- Serve over toasted Bread.