The freshly picked local, red, juicy Strawberries smelled soo goood! It sure was worth the short drive from our home to Meadowbrook Farm in East Longmeadow to purchase them! Two days ago when deciding what our Father's Day dinner menu would be - suddenly Strawberry Shortcake and dessert came to mind. It's a dessert that I have not made for...I cannot remember the last time. It would be a wonderful dessert after our delicious dinner on Saturday. We will be celebrating this special day all weekend! :)
The Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder & Salt have been located along with the solid Crisco Shortening to bake the Shortcake tomorrow morning.
Strawberry Shortcake - printable recipe card
Oven: 450°F Time: 15- 20 Minutes
Ingredients for Shortcake:
2 Cups Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup solid Crisco Shortening
1 Cup Milk (Can be Low Fat or Soy)
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Spray round layer metal cake pan with PAM.
- Combine Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder & Salt in large mixing bowl.
- Add solid Shortening. Cut in with pastry blender or two knives.
- Add Milk and stir until blended.
- Spoon batter into cake pan and make even.
- Bake 15 - 20 Minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- When preparing dessert - Cut Shortcake into pie slices & cut each slice in half = a top + a bottom.
- Place bottom in dessert dish.
- Cover with sliced Strawberries.
- Top with top slice. Add Vanilla Ice Cream and more sliced Strawberries.
- Top with Reddi-Wip, if desired.
This is definitely a great dessert made with fresh, local sweet Strawberries. Defrosted Strawberries also work very well! This will be a great Father's Day dessert!
We will Enjoy!
To all Dads - Happy Father's Day!!!
Enjoy your special day & weekend!