Sour Cream Sugar Cookies with a hint of Nutmeg are delicious! I prefer to use unsalted Butter, but Margarine may also be used. However, I find that the dough made with butter is much easier to work with. The soft, light, tasty cookies are made in a 2 step process. On Day One prep the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap and then in foil. It needs to be chilled overnight. On Day 2 locate your fave holiday cookie cutters and rolling pin. Yes, colored sugars, too.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies - printable recipe card
Yield: About 5 dozen cookies, depending on size
4 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup unsalted Butter, softened
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (can be Fat Free)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Colored Sugars for Decorating
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, beat.
- Add in Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Nutmeg.
- While beating on Low, slowly add Flour, 1 Cup at a time.
- Add in Vanilla and Sour Cream. Beat on Medium until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on plastic wrap, wrap dough.
- Place wrapped dough on aluminum foil and wrap well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into four parts.
- On well floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on pan/sheet 1" apart. (Maybe 12 cookies to a sheet.)
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.
- Bake 10 - 11 Minutes in 375°F oven. Bottom of cookies will be a light golden brown.
- Remove with spatula to wire cooling racks.
- When cool store in airtight containers.
***Any leftover dough make for very special "Initial Cookies"! Ropes are made from the leftover dough. The first letter of each family member's name is shaped and placed on the cookie sheet. Each letter is 2"-3". Usually this cookie is saved - to be eaten last. :)
If you are looking for a special dessert to please everyone in your family - bake these Sour Cream Sugar Cookies! They are soft, light and scrumptious!