My wooden Spice Rack has been a handy staple in my kitchen for over three decades. :) It's located on the wall and is my "go to" area whenever I am adding herbs &/or spices while cooking. My DH had listened to my specifics for a Spice Rack, built it & stained it. Spaces for tall & short containers were included, much like a shadow box. Today, I took a quick glance at the tall container of Chili Powder. Plenty!
The Chili Powder will be used on Sunday for Red-Hot Chili. Now that our evenings are a bit more brisk, nothing beats a warm bowl of hot Chili topped with a little Sour Cream and a slice of Rye Bread at dinner time! My West Bend Slow Cooker will be used once again.
This small appliance is so handy. Requiring about 15 minutes prep work always results in one no fuss, fragrant, nutritious, hearty dinner. Yum! And quite often there are more servings remaining in my slow cooker's pot! Now, that is an added bonus.
About 1 lb. Ground Beef
(1) 14.5 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
(2) cans Red Kidney Beans (about 19 oz. each)
Chopped Onions (dehydrated - 1 TBS.)
Chopped Parsley (dehydrated) - 1 TBS.
(2) tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Oregano
(2) 15 oz. Tomato Sauce
***Quite often I reach into my freezer and take out a little bag of Green Pepper strips to add while placing the ingredients in the pot.
- Spray cooking pot of Slow Cooker with PAM.
- Brown about 1 lb. Ground Beef in a frying pan.
- Place browned Beef in Cooking Pot.
- Pour (1) can Diced Tomatoes on Beef.
- Drain, rinse in cold water & drain again (2) cans Red Kidney Beans.
- Place Kidney Beans on top of Tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on desired amount of dehydrated Chopped Onions & Chopped Parsley.
- Then sprinkle on Chili Powder, Garlic Powder & Oregano. Add Green Peppers, if desired.
- Pour Tomato Sauce over top & spread.
- Place lid on top.
- Set temperature to High for 2 and 1/2 hours. Then, reduce to Medium for 1/2 hour.
Before serving, stir the Red-Hot Chili. Your family will know dinner is ready. :) We enjoy a spoonful of Fat Free Sour Cream on top. And Rye Bread on the side!