|Turkey a la King|
over Toasted Oatmeal Bread
And, an added plus is that I usually have enough roasted Turkey remaining to make a triple batch. You know what that means! After the a la King cools, the extra servings are packed into Ziploc Freezer containers & placed in the freezer.
Oh, this dinner freezes very well. I usually place a container in the fridge the night before serving again. It will defrost & only need reheating. When reheating, add a little more Milk. The sauce will be smooth & creamy when stirred and served over toasted bread!
The recipe below is for 1 batch.
Turkey a la King
Serves 2 - 3 Adults
1/4 Cup Margarine/ Butter (I use unsalted.)
1/3 Cup Flour
1 Cup Chicken/ Turkey Broth
(I use College Inn Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth.)
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Turkey chunks (cooked), cut up, more if desired
2 Cups cooked Carrots & Peas (or Mixed Vegetables)
Sliced Bread, Toasted- 1 or 2 slices/ person
- Melt Margarine/ Butter in large skillet/ large pot.
- Remove skillet from Medium heat and slowly stir in Flour.
- Return to heat and slowly add in Chicken Broth & Milk while slowly stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring over heat until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Add cooked Turkey chunks.
- Add in cooked vegetables.
- Stir and heat mixture for 1 - 2 Minutes.
- Serve over toasted Bread.