About 12 years ago, a week before Christmas, I remember asking my older son if he could give me some input as to what our Christmas dessert might be. I was clueless as what in the world I should bake. His response, "Remember the CranOrange Coffee Cake you used to bake?" O.K., I remembered, but I didn't realize that we hadn't enjoyed eating this appetizing Bundt cake in a very long time. For that reason, I now bake it to enjoy at Christmas. Yes, my daughter-in-law now has this recipe, too! :)
CranOrange Coffee Cake is scrumptious, moisty and colorful. The original recipe called for Ocean Spray CranOrange Relish. However, for the past two years I have been unable to purchase this ingredient, so I've found a good substitution: About 8 ounces from a can of Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce plus 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Orange Extract. Combine together and use. The cake is baked in a Bundt or Tube Pan. After baking & cooling, wrap in foil and freeze until the day before serving.
(Yes, it can be enjoyed after baking, cooling and icing, but over the years I've learned that it has a better flavor if we are patient and do not devour it within the day. This cake is a wonderful fam fav in the freezer ready to eat.)
After removing from freezer, unwrap the cake and place on a special dish. Drizzle the Almond Glaze on top. A small scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream served on the side is a tempting addition. Yummy!
CranOrange Coffee Cake
Time: Bake 55 Minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
1 Stick (8 Tablespoons) Unsalted Margarine/Butter, softened
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Egg + 2 Egg Whites (or 2 Whole Eggs)
2 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Fat Free Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
* * *
8 ounces Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce Plus
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Orange Extract
OR 1 container CranOrange Relish
- Spray 9" or 10" Bundt Pan or Tube Pan with PAM & flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using mixer, Cream Margarine/Butter with Sugar.
- Add 1 Egg + 2 Egg Whites (or 2 Whole Eggs) and blend well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with Sour Cream. End with the dry ingredients.
- Add Almond Extract.
- Combine 8 ounces Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce with 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Orange Extract in separate bowl , if needed.
- Place 1/2 of batter in Bundt Pan, spread evenly.
- Top with 1/2 of Sauce, spread.
- Carefully add remaining batter, spread.
- Follow with remaining Sauce, spread.
- Bake at 350°F for 55 Minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 Minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cool.
- After cooling, wrap in foil and freeze until needed.
Blend 3/4 Cup Confectioner's Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Water and 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract until smooth.
This week I will bake two CranOrange Coffee Cakes and they will be waiting in my freezer. :)
Do you have a family favorite that your family enjoys during the holidays?