|Craisin Raisin Oaties|
On Monday the outside temperature on our thermometer read 83°F and it is October! We do enjoy Indian Summer here in Western MA, but who would have guessed that it would feel like a day in the mid summer? Who would also guess that I would be baking Craisin Raisin Oaties on a very warm day? Well, I made the commitment to bring refreshments to a Docent Class I was attending on Tuesday and a promise is a promise.
From the "get go" I knew that old fashioned oats would be used when I was baking the goodies. Craisin Raisin Oaties definitely rank as one of the three fave cookies in my fam. While growing up, my mom would bake them, but she did not include the Craisins. They were not an ingredient we were accustomed to, even though I did live in MA. Driving back from Boston after a Boston College Football game one Saturday many years ago, we stopped at a Rest Area on the Mass Pike. One of the snacks offered in the "goodies" case was Oatmeal Cookies containing both Raisins and Craisins. What a combo! From that day I always added both whenever I baked Oatmeal cookies.
Usually when I bake these yummy nutritious cookies, I make a double batch. They freeze very well when stored in Ziploc Freezer bags, so the small amount of extra time and effort is totally worth it. However, the heat of the day on Monday called for only one batch to be baked. So glad that I stored those four cookies in the freezer! :) Yummy!
Craisin Raisin Oaties
Oven : 350°F
Yield: About 3 and 1/2 Dozen
1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter/Margarine, softened
1 Cup Brownulated Sugar (or Brown Sugar)
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs (OR 1 Egg + 2 Egg Whites)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Salt (optional) - I do not use any Salt.
1 and 1/2 Cups Flour
3 Cups Quaker Oats (Old Fashioned, uncooked)
1/2 Cup Craisins (dried Cranberries)
1/2 Cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large mixing bowl, beat Butter/Margarine with Sugars until creamy.
- Add Eggs, (Egg Whites) & Vanilla Extract. Beat well.
- Add Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, optional Salt & Flour. Mix well.
- With large spoon or spatula, stir in Oats.
- Add Craisins & Raisins. Stir well.
- Place 12 rounded Tablespoons of batter on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 - 12 Minutes until golden brown.
- After removing from oven, cool cookies in pan about 2 minutes before removing cookies from pan and placing on wire rack to cool.
- Cool & Enjoy!