|A serving spoon full of steaming Baked Apple Butternut!|
There were 2 Butternut Squash left in the cardboard carton. I had Cortland Apples. I had plans! The Cornflower CorningWare dish was located and I was good to go! Yes, I still have my treasured Cornflower. They do last a lifetime! The combination of baked Butternut Squash + baked Apples is delicious! Add in the Cinnamon & the Nutmeg - ah, great flavor! In this recipe softened Butter/ Margarine is combined with the spices + a little flour and Brown Sugar.
The addition of 1/4 Cup of Craisins or Raisins or a combo of both would be so tasty here and also colorful! However, a baking dish of Apple Crisp with Craisins/ Raisins was in our fridge, so the Craisins & the Raisins did not make the cut here.
|Before covering with foil & placing in 350°F oven.|
Oven Temperature: 350°F Time: 60- 70 Minutes
2 Butternut Squash
2- 3 large Apples (Cortland, Empire or Granny Smith)
2 teaspoons Flour
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons softened Butter/ Margarine
- Spray a 10" x 10" Baking Dish with PAM.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse Butternut Squash & Apples under cool running water, dry.
- Cut off stem & rounded top of Squash, toss.
- Cut long portion of Squash into slices. Cut off peel. Then cut into 1" chunks.
- Remove seeds from bottom and cut remaining Squash into pieces.
- Place Squash chunks/ pieces in Baking Dish.
- Peel & slice Apples.
- Place Apple slices on top of Squash in Baking Dish.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients for topping.
- Place topping on Apple Slices.
- Cover with Aluminum Foil.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 60- 70 minutes, or until Squash chunks are tender. Use fork to pierce.
This is a yummy side dish! The flavors blend well together. After our dinner, the extra portions were packed in Ziploc Freezer containers/ labelled and into our freezer they went. What a welcome surprise at dinner this will be on a cold windy bleak winter New England night!
Do you serve Butternut Squash? It's always on our Thanksgiving Day Dinner table!
This weekend I'll be baking the Yummy Apple Breads and freezing them!