|Christmas Sugar Cookies|
Did I mention that Sour Cream is an ingredient here? It is. Fat Free Sour Cream works very well in this cookie recipe that I've been using for over 30 years.
On Day 1 the dough is prepared and then wrapped and placed in the fridge, On Day 2 take your refrigerated dough out of your fridge and find your cookie cutters, colored sugared sprinkles, rolling pin & rolling mat and the fun begins.
|Day 2 - Rolling out refrigerated dough! (File Photo)|
An added plus is that after baking & cooling they can be packaged and placed in the freezer. Bake these early and freeze until needed. However, remember that a taste test is always needed when baking cookies. With the wonderful aroma of nutmeg in your home there are sure to be taste testers to be found quickly.
Christmas Sugar Cookies
printable recipe card (click here)
Yield: About 5 dozen, depending on size
4 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup unsalted Butter, softened
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (can be Fat Free)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Colored Sugars for Decorating
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, beat.
- Add in Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Nutmeg.
- While beating on Low, slowly add Flour, 1 Cup at a time.
- Add in Vanilla and Sour Cream. Beat on Medium until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on plastic wrap, wrap dough.
- Place wrapped dough on aluminum foil and wrap well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into four parts.
- On well floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on pan/sheet 1" apart. (Maybe 12 cookies to a sheet.)
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.
- Bake 10 - 11 Minutes. Bottom of cookies will be a light golden brown.
- Remove with spatula to wire cooling racks.
- When cool store in airtight containers.