|Sour Cream Sugar Cookies|
Salt Free Butter? Yes, definitely need to use Butter!
Flour & Sugar? Yes.
Colored Sugars? Yes, yes!
Rolling pin & rolling mat? Double yes.
Cookie Cutters? Definitely!
That's part of my check list before I bake Sour Cream Sugar Cookies. I've used my go to recipe for rolled out Christmas Sugar Cookies for so long - over 30 years.
Imagine biting into a soft rolled out sugar cookie that has a cute whimsical shape. As you are chewing the cookie a hint of Nutmeg flavoring tastes so good. The sugar cookie is festive- decorated with colored sugars. After eating one, another is hard to resist!
These cookies are time tested with both my family & my friends! They are made in 2 steps.
On Day 1 the dough is prepared, wrapped & refrigerated to be used on Day 2.
The next day take out the Colored Sugars, Rolling Pin & Rolling Mat.
This is a very easy cookie to make/ bake. Roll the dough to 1/4". Then, use your cookie cutters. After baking/ cooling a taste test is definitely necessary. Who can resist this cookie? Usually I bake them 2- 3 weeks before Christmas & place them in the freezer. They freeze very well & are so yummy!
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
printable recipe card (click here)
Yield: About 5 dozen, depending on size
4 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup unsalted Butter, softened
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (can be Fat Free)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Colored Sugars for Decorating
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, beat.
- Add in Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Nutmeg.
- While beating on Low, slowly add Flour, 1 Cup at a time.
- Add in Vanilla and Sour Cream. Beat on Medium until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on plastic wrap, wrap dough.
- Place wrapped dough on aluminum foil and wrap well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into four parts.
- On well floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on pan/ sheet 1" apart. (Maybe 12 cookies to a sheet.)
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.
- Bake 10 - 11 Minutes. Bottom of cookies will be a light golden brown.
- Remove with spatula to wire cooling racks.
- When cool store in airtight containers.
|Welcome Bag Cookies|