|Hermits filled with Raisins!|
Use your electric mixer, because the dough is stiff. After making the dough, add the Raisins into the batter using a large spoon. Then divide the dough into thirds. Make a large log from each third of dough. Place the logs in a cookie pan- one in the middle & the other 2 on each side. Then, flatten each log. Top each log of dough with the beaten reserved Egg Yolk. The Egg Yolk gives the Hermits the glossy topping after baking.
|Top flattened logs with Egg wash before baking.|
|After cooled, cut in slices on a diagonal.|
Oven: 375°F Time: 23- 25 Minutes
3/4 Cup solid Crisco Shortening
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Molasses
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Eggs – (Reserve about 1 teaspoon for coating)
1 Cup Raisins
3 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Using mixer, beat Shortening, Sugar, Molasses & Water. Beat until creamy.
- Reserve about 1 teaspoon of Egg with a little Yolk. Add Eggs & beat.
- Now add Baking Soda, Spices & Flour. Flour is added 1/4 Cup at a time and mixed into batter. Otherwise you will be peering through a white mist. :)
- Fold in Raisins using big spoon or spatula.
- Spray PAM on a large cookie pan.
- Divide dough into three pieces. Make three logs of dough on cookie pan, flatten. Leave about 1½ ” border on each end. Dough is very sticky.
- Coat top with reserved Egg – use back of teaspoon to spread.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 23- 25 minutes (25 minutes in my gas oven).
- Cool 15 minutes & cut into diagonals. I throw away end pieces- too hard after cooled.
- Remove from cookie pan and store in a container after cooled.