Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Saving Marigold Seeds

2nd Generation Marigolds
(File Photo)
Oh yes!  It's that time of year!  Time to save the Marigold Seeds!

All summer we've enjoyed our vibrant yellow & orange colored Marigolds.  They add a beautiful touch of color to our yard.  The plants with the orange flowers are 3rd generation from a single plant that my wonderful cute grandsons gave me for Mother's Day 2 years ago.  I have every intention of keeping that original plant family going for more years.  It's becoming a FuN tradition!  Saving the seeds to plant again next spring is my plan!  It is easy & does not take much time.

Saving Marigold Seeds
  1. Look for the dried blossoms on the Marigold plants (in lower left photo above).
  2. Break off the dried pods.
  3. Place in an open envelope to continue drying.
  4. After a month or so- when completely dry, separate all of the seeds from the pods.
  5. Place seeds in another envelope.  Label/ date/ seal envelope.
  6. Store until next year!
Marigold Seeds

    This year I used a long planter on our deck for my "special crop"!  It's been a hot dry summer, but currently, these orange colorful flowers are overflowing the green planter.   

    3rd Generation Marigolds- 2016
    Looking forward to the 4th generation Marigolds!  I've started saving the seeds to Enjoy again!

    No comments: