Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Guest Towels

Who would guess that the new addition to my fabric scrap stash would come in handy so quickly?  It was the beginning of another quick and easy Christmas project.  The colorful fabric strips on my new bright Christmas Guest Towels is leftover fabric from my current project.  Two years ago I wanted Thanksgiving themed Guest Towels, but while searching in stores I never found any that suited my fancy.  So, I purchased colored towels and made them to order.  It worked so well!  The towels have endured many washings and remain a vibrant color.  While they were hanging in our bathroom this November it reminded me that another holiday was approaching and ideas started to flow - Christmas Guest Towels.

Thanksgiving Guest Towels
The chosen colors of the newly decorated hand towels go well with the fabric design and also with the colors in our bathroom.  A BIG + is that they were very simple to make.  After purchasing (via a good sale) 2 new towels I was ready to start. 

A strip of fabric was cut to fit into towel's recessed area near the bottom edge.  The strip is 2" longer than the towel's width.  That way I have an extra 1" on each side to play with when doing the finishing work and sewing. 

The height of the desired strip is measured 1/2" larger than needed,  so both the top and the bottom may be turned in 1/4" and pressed.  The raw edges on each side of the strip are turned in also, pressed and then turned in again and sewn in place. 

When sewing strip in place:  I like to wrap a very small portion of the colorful strip around the backside of the towel when attaching, so I allow for an extra 1/2" on each side.  Pin the strip onto the plain portion of the towel's front and sew in place.  Really easy!

Pinning strip in place.
These Guest Towels also make quick, small and festive Christmas gifts!  I am adding this post to my Threads with Taste Page (located below my header) above.
Enjoy!
Happy Sewing!
          

5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great idea! I had to make pillow covers this year...I get too many towels and throw pillows over the years! Happy holidays to you, my friend! ♥

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

I love this idea! The towels are great looking, makes a really lovely gift!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Rita said...

Love this idea; very pretty and festive!
Rita

Heather said...

Very cute! And they'd make such nice gifts, too! :o)

JG said...

Diane- Thanks! Your sewing machine also comes in very handy. :)

Carol- So much nicer to control the quality of a "special" towel. Thanks!

Rita- Can you tell I like bright? Merci!

Heather- Thanks! It's an easy to make, quick gift.

~Judy