Thursday, June 20, 2013

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles - The remaining 4 for my photo op!
The Cinnamon/ Sugar coating smells so good as you bite into a soft delicious Snickerdoodle.  Yum!  These cookies are a fave of my fam.  I've also learned that it ranks tops with my next door neighbor who just graduated from our high school.  The graduation party was on Saturday.   Sunday, the Dads in our fam celebrated their day. What better dessert than Snickerdoodles for both occasions?  On Friday afternoon my 37 year old KitchenAid mixer was put to the test and my oven was in mass production mode.  A triple batch of these cinnamon flavored cookies covered my kitchen counters.

Over the years, Snickerdoodles have filled the role of birthday cakes for my sons after they moved out of our area and began their careers.  A box delivered to their doors containing homemade cookies is one special yummy gift!

When preparing these cookies, after the small balls of dough are formed, I place them quickly into the Cinnamon/ Sugar Topping mixture rather than roll the dough around and cover the entire ball.  

Snickerdoodles    printable recipe card  
Oven: 400°F    Yield:  About 3 Dozen Cookies

Ingredients 

½ Cup Butter or Margarine, softened
½ Cup Solid Shortening ( I use Crisco.)
1 and ½ Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
2 and ¾ Cups Flour
2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
¼ tsp. Salt
* * * *
Topping:  2 tsp. Sugar + 1 tsp. Cinnamon

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Using a mixer beat Butter/Margarine, Shortening + Sugar.
  3. Add Eggs and beat.
  4. Add Cream of Tartar, Baking Soda, Salt + ½ of the Flour and mix.
  5. Add in remaining Flour + mix.
  6. In a small bowl combine Topping Ingredients.
  7. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls.
  8. Place ball of dough into Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture.
  9. Place ball of dough Mixture side up onto ungreased baking sheet, 12 balls/sheet.
  10. Bake about 9 Minutes, underside of cookie will be lightly browned.
  11. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.
  12. Store in air tight container.
***Snickerdoodles do not freeze well.

The triple batch of cookies are g-o-n-e!  They were shared 3 ways and were totally enjoyed!

Yummy!

 

2 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is my hubby's favorite cookie! I try to make them for him sometimes even though I can't eat sugar any more. It just about drives me crazy! lol HUGS!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- Now, that is will power! Your Hubby is lucky!

~Judy