Wednesday, June 26, 2013

~Strawberry Freezer Jam~

Strawberry Freezer Jam
T'is the season for ... local strawberries! Double Yum!  It's a great tradition - driving to Meadowbrook Farm in East Longmeadow to purchase a flat (8 qts.) + a couple more quarts of the sweet, delicious fresh local berries!  Gone are the days of "picking your own" in the fields, for me.  It's so much easier to purchase the fragrant nutritious fruit at the farm and then go forward with the plan.  :)


On Monday the strawberries were purchased.  Yes, there is more to the story!  In the afternoon my kitchen became a production line.  The berry stems were removed and the yummy fruit was given a rinse in cold water.  After draining, each berry was cut into 2 or 3 slices and 2 Cups of the fruit was placed in Quart Ziploc Freezer Bags.  About 4 teaspoons of Sugar was added to the individual bags before sealing, labeling and then placing them in our large freezer.  They will be defrosted during the year - a great topping for Oatmeal Pancakes, ice cream or in a fruit salad.

Ready for the freezer!
Today, sitting on the Dining Room table were 2 batches of Strawberry Freezer Jam doing its thing - preparing itself! Yesterday, the 1 cup Ziploc Freezer containers were cleaned and the Certo, Lemon Juice & Sugar located.  My plans for the 2 quarts of strawberries in the fridge was starting.  I could see 2 batches of Freezer Jam in my future.

(File Photo)
Growing up my mom, sister & I always made the year's supply of jams when the local fruit was in season.  Those were the days of "sweating over a hot stove" and using paraffin wax.  Years later, I discovered the Freezer Jam recipe inside a Certo box.  It was my "Industrial Revolution" moment!  From that day on I make Freezer Jams in the summer.

After following the recipe in the Certo box, the filled covered containers sit undisturbed for 24 hours.  After the 24 hour time period into the freezer they go.  Very easy + very tasty all year long!

1 batch of Freezer Jam is prepared at a time!  Do not double the batch - prepare each separately.  Follow the directions exactly.

Click here for more of my hints.      

It's after 4 PM and now both batches of Strawberry Jam are in the freezer.  Woohoo!  Do you prepare this easy tasty Jam?

Enjoy!
Yummy!
    

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I used to love to make freezer jam. Now I just freeze some of the fresh fruit to eat on oatmeal in the winter! So good!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- It's great to purchase the fresh fruit to freeze! Topping for Oatmeal, yum!

~Judy

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Very timely post, JG. You reminded me that I better get busy before the strawberries are gone. We have a week of hot weather ahead and that could do them in. Have a great weekend.

JG said...

Cathy- I grew up hearing the motto "Strawberries do not wait - when they are ripe, get busy". You must have, also. :)

~Judy