|Butternut Squash Muffins with Currants|
There has not been much baking going on in my kitchen this past 21/2 weeks. My "common cold" did not feel ordinary to me! Friday evening at dinner we enjoyed Baked wild caught Sockeye Salmon, Butternut Squash along with a Baked Potato. Planning ahead, I'd saved 1/2 cup of the Butternut Squash before it was even placed on our dinner table.
I had plans! All I could envision was a batch of Butternut Squash Muffins - with currants. On Saturday my kitchen was filled with the aroma of Butternut Squash, Cinnamon & Nutmeg. It took little time to place 12 golden muffins on the cooling rack. Before I knew it, 11 muffins remained. A warm muffin is a fave with my DH.
|After taking pan out of oven, I tip the muffins in the pan. |
Then remove them to place on a cooling rack to cool.
***Yes, Pumpkin can be substituted for the Butternut Squash!
Butternut Squash Muffins with Currants
Yield: 12 Muffins
1 and 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Egg Whites (or 1 Whole Egg)
3/4 cup Soy Milk
1/4 cup Olive Oil (for Sauteing & Baking)
1/2 cup mashed Butternut Squash
1/4 cup Currants
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place muffin liners in muffin pan.
- Combine first 6 dry ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Separate Egg Whites. Place Egg Whites in small bowl and beat with fork. (If using 1 Whole Egg, beat with fork.)
- Add Soy Milk (Milk), Olive Oil & Butternut Squash to Egg Whites, stir.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add Currants.
- Mix all ingredients until moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups by evenly dividing batter.
- Bake 20 - 22 minutes in 400°F oven until muffins are lightly browned on top.
- Remove muffins from pan immediately.
- Cool muffins on racks.
Tonight, Butternut Squash was the veggie at dinner. After all, it is a fave veggie here! Can you guess what is now waiting in our fridge??? Much Snow is forecasted for Thursday. Our snow blower will get more exercise!
Happy Valentine's Day!!!