Monday, February 17, 2014

Hearty Minestrone

Hearty Minestrone
(File Photo)
A bowl of hearty homemade soup on a cold winter day!  Sometimes, it's the perfect food for dinner.  It sure is if & when you feel a bit under the weather.  Ah, Minestrone Soup!  Earlier this AM, I could see a pot of colorful nutritious veggies simmering in chicken broth on my stove.  That brought me to my pantry to locate the cans of chicken broth, the canned tomatoes & the kidney beans.  Spinach & green beans were in the freezer, with carrots in the fridge, so I was definitely good to go!

It's been a while since I've made a pot of Minestrone Soup.  It's also been a very long time since I've had the "common cold" (that seems to be lasting forever right now).  So glad that I always get the yearly flu shot!  The "common cold" is unpleasant enough.

About an hour ago my Dutch Oven pot & cover were located and I was on my way to make a batch of this easy, yummy hot hearty soup!  Woohoo! 

Minestrone Soup

Ingredients:
1 can Red or White Kidney Beans (15.5 ounce)
1 can Tomatoes, drained (16 - 28 ounces)
1 Potato, cut into small chunks, if available
1 Cup Green Beans - defrosted
1 box frozen Spinach - defrosted
1 lb. Carrots - peeled & cut into slices or "baby carrots"
1 Cup Elbow macaroni
4 cans Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth (14.5 ounce each)
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Basil
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional) 

Method:
  1. Drain Kidney Beans.  Rinse in cold water & drain.  Repeat again.
  2. Place Kidney Beans in large pot.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients into the large pot.
  4. Stir.
  5. Bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat & simmer for 1 hour.  Carrots & potato chunks should be tender.
  7. Place in bowls & enjoy.
Remaining portions can be placed in freezer containers & into your freezer they go to enjoy on another cold winter evening.

**When reheating, add 1 can (14.5 ounce) Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth.

With a little more snow predicted for tomorrow, "Oh no!" this just may be a repeat dinner tomorrow evening! 

Minestrone is an easy nutritious yummy soup to make.  I usually have the ingredients in my well stocked kitchen.  Do you keep these ingredients in your kitchen?

Enjoy!
Yummy!
         

No comments: