|Sour Cream Sugar Cookies cooling!|
They wanted their guests to feel very special and also very welcomed during the weekend! They did succeed! A Welcome Bag was waiting at the hotels where the overnight guests were staying. This was a very thoughtful gift and it was also a gift that was new to me. Each bag with a cute logo contained bottled water & munchies.
After I learned about the Welcome Bags, I knew that I wanted to add a tidbit for the happy guests who would be celebrating a very special occasion. Suddenly it came to me! Cookies, specifically
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies! These rolled out/ cut out cookies are definitely a family fave and they would be a great surprise! They are my holiday cookies!
My Heart and my Bell cookie cutters were located quickly! The wedding colors were Purple + Sage, so Lavender & Green colored sugars were purchased for the bells along with plastic bags & ties. The Red colored sugar I already had for the Hearts! Fat Free Sour Cream, Low Salt Butter, Sugar & Flour were placed on my grocery list. These cookies were baked 3 weeks before the wonderful wedding & placed in our freezer until needed.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are a 2 day process. I prepared 4 batches of batter - each separately and placed in my fridge overnight. The next day 250 rolled, cut- out cookies were baked. After they cooled, stacks of cookies were carefully placed into Gallon Sized Ziploc Freezer bags. Then they were placed very carefully on a shelf in our large freezer.
The day before we drove to upstate NY for the beautiful wedding, the cookies were defrosted. Each cute cookie bag contained 1 decorated cut out Heart + 1 Bell per person. These soft, light, yummy cookies were for a very special couple & their guests!
For those of you who have a special family member or friend who will be getting married, bake these delicious cookies to place in the Welcome Bags! They are definitely a yummy treat! There is nothing like a homemade Sugar Cookie! The Sour Cream makes it very light. This is my fave Sugar Cookie!
|Packaged & ready for the "Welcome Bags"!|
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
printable recipe card (click here)
Yield: About 5 dozen, depending on size
4 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup unsalted Butter, softened
1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (can be Fat Free)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Colored Sugars for Decorating
- In large bowl with electric mixer beat Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, beat.
- Add in Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Nutmeg.
- While beating on Low, slowly add Flour, 1 Cup at a time.
- Add in Vanilla and Sour Cream. Beat on Medium until well combined. Dough will be stiff.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on plastic wrap, wrap dough.
- Place wrapped dough on aluminum foil and wrap well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into four parts.
- On well floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on pan/ sheet 1" apart. (Maybe 12 cookies to a sheet.)
- Sprinkle with colored sugars.
- Bake 10 - 11 Minutes. Bottom of cookies will be a light golden brown.
- Remove with spatula to wire cooling racks.
- When cool store in airtight containers.
The 4 batches of Sour Cream Sugar Cookies were cooled & a few hours later packaged in freezer bags. Into our large freezer they were placed.
Yes, they were a delicious treat for all of the over night guests, including our family! :)
We all Enjoyed!