|Baked Eggplant Parmigiana|
For the past 3 years I've enjoyed Eggplant Parmigiana, but the Eggplant is baked, not fried. While thumbing through a recipe booklet from one of our local grocery stores, the recipe caught my eye. Now, when these veggies are in season locally here, I like to bake a batch a couple of times. Definitely there are more servings remaining after dinner. This freezes very well and can be reheated in the microwave on a busy night. It's easy, it's delicious! What can be better?
You guessed it. Sunday's trip to Meadowbrook Farm in East Longmeadow included Eggplant.
Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
adapted from Big Y Life in Balance
Olive Oil for baking & sauteing
(2) small Eggplants
Tomato Sauce (about 16 oz. - 20 oz.)
(1) can 6 oz. Tomato Paste
8 oz. shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a large cookie pan with foil and spray with PAM.
- Wash & dry Eggplants.
- Cut each Eggplant into 1" round slices. Cut an even number of round slices.
- Place each slice on cookie sheet and drizzle a small amount of Olive Oil on top of each slice.
- Then, lightly sprinkle with Ground Pepper & Basil.
- Bake Eggplant slices for 20 minutes in 450°F oven.
*While Eggplant is baking continue prepping:
- Spray a large baking dish with PAM.
- Mix Tomato Sauce with Tomato Paste in a small bowl.
- Place a small amount of sauce mixture in baking dish, covering bottom.
- Place baked Eggplant slices on bottom of baking dish. Top each slice with shredded Mozzarella Cheese. Then, top with another slice of Eggplant. Place sauce mixture on top. Sprinkle on Garlic Powder & Oregano.
- Then top with more Mozzarella Cheese.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until Eggplant is soft.
- Serve with Penne.