Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Freezing Green Peppers

Ready for the freezer!
Fresh locally grown Green Peppers!  They taste so good!  During the colder months I really miss the opportunity to purchase a Pepper grown locally to include in a dinner recipe.  However, these days there is a Plan B going on with me & Green Peppers.  At this time of year when they are very plentiful, a quick trip to Meadowbrook Farm in East Longmeadow makes Plan B happen very quickly.

Sunday was that day.  After a great time relaxing at the Cape, I was ready to get busy & freeze the Peppers.  It is a very easy process.

Cutting Pepper Slices
(File Photo)
 Freezing Green Pepper Strips 
  1. Rinse Peppers under cool running water.  Dry.
  2. Cut off tops.
  3. Discard seeds.
  4. Cut each Pepper in strips. 
  5. Place a handful of Pepper strips in a plastic sandwich bag.   (I do not use exact measurements.) I "eyeball" the amount I'd get from 1 whole Pepper for each bag.
  6. Close the sandwich bag and fold over. 
  7. Carefully, place all sandwich bags in a Ziploc Freezer Bag.
  8.  Seal, label and place in freezer. 
***Usually from the "cut off" Pepper tops a few chunks of Pepper can be saved to freeze, also.  These chunks are also placed in sandwich bags & then in a Freezer Bag.  (See photo above.)

During the harsher winter months whenever a Green Pepper is an ingredient in a recipe, I head to my freezer to remove 1 sandwich bag.  They are already cleaned & cut into strips/ chunks.  So tasty!  Well worth the small amount of time to prep them in the summer!

It did not take long to find my kitchen!  :)

Enjoy!
Yummy!
          

3 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's such a good idea and really comes in handy. I buy fresh fruit when it's in season and freeze it in snack bags. I just got a bag of blueberries out today. Enjoy your week my friend! Hugs!

Amy said...

Good tips. I agree, they are the best when in season and freezing is a great way to keep them and enjoy later. thanks for sharing.

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- We're planning ahead! :)

Amy- So much better than the commercially packaged brands. Much less water after defrosting.

~Judy