I always bake two of these breads- one to enjoy and the other is cooled/ wrapped in foil and placed in our freezer. Currently, there's an Apple Bread in the freezer that we will be enjoying over the Thanksgiving Day weekend. When it comes out of the oven there is always a crack in the center. Yet, still, I use my cake tester to learn if the bread is ready for the cooling rack.
If you have never baked one (or two) of these breads, add apples to your grocery list. Then, take out your bread pans and you will be on your way! It is that good!
Oven: 350°F Time: 65 Minutes
**Makes Two Loaves
4 Cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 & ½ teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
2/3 Cup Olive Oil (for baking & sauteing)
2 Cups Orange Juice
4 Egg Whites
2 Cups finely chopped peeled Apples (5- 7 Apples depending on
size) Cortland or Empire Apples are my faves to use.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add Olive Oil, Orange Juice & Egg Whites (slightly beaten)
- Add chopped apples and stir in.
- Pour batter into greased bread pans.
- Bake at 350°F in preheated oven for 65 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle of loaf.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and continue cooling on wire racks.