Sunday, November 15, 2009

Great Minestrone


On a damp, chilly day a bowl of homemade soup that has been simmering on the stove tastes so good! Yesterday, the overcast sky brought showers, so it was definitely a day to make Great Minestrone. Great Minestrone (click for recipe) is filled with colorful, nutritious vegetables. Three 14.5 oz. cans of College Inn Light and Fat Free Chicken Broth were added to the combination of veggies along with some herbs. In my pantry was a box of Orzo, so I used 1 Cup of Orzo rather than Macaroni. Everything simmered in my 4-quart pot for 45 – 60 minutes.

The wonderful aroma in my kitchen helped erase the gloomy weather outdoors. Oh, the soup smelled so good while it was bubbling. I stirred it occasionally while it was simmering. Before serving, I noticed that it was a little thick, so I added one additional 14.5 oz. can of Chicken Broth and heated the Minestrone for a few additional minutes. It simmered once again. The Orzo had absorbed liquid while cooking.

After enjoying a warm bowl of Great Minestrone with dinner, as usual, there were extra portions. After cooling, the extra soup was placed in labeled/dated Ziploc Freezer containers and stored in my freezer. On another chilly day a warm bowl of soup will taste scrumptious!

This soup can be defrosted overnight in the fridge. To prepare place in a pot along with an additional 14.5 oz. can of Light and Fat Free Chicken Broth. More bowls of delicious, homemade soup await.

At this time of year grocery stores offer specials on College Inn Chicken Broth. Yes, I do stock up on the 14.5 oz. cans. It is great to use when making Great Minestrone, Stuffing and also preparing Rice.

Yummy!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My husband would love this! I'll have to try it! Thanks!