Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pear- Apple Craisin Crisp

Pear-Apple Craisin Crisp - only needs a small scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream!
The 3 ripened Pears attracted my attention whenever I opened our fridge.  Well, they were in plain sight located on the top shelf - on the right hand side!  Sure, they were ripe, but I was thinking about Apple Crisp.  It was at that moment I knew that 2 of those 3 Pears would not keep their spot much longer!

Pear-Apple Craisin Crisp!  The delicate flavor of baked pear slices combined with baked apple slices.  Dried cranberries mingled in with the fruit...and a nutmeg/ cinnamon oat topping.  YUM!  It sounded delicious and later that evening it sure tasted scrumptious!  Pears & Apples are a great combo!  Cortland Apples are always my favorite for baking.  (That is until the available apples in the grocery stores are a bit soft.  Then, I bake using Empire & Granny Smith Apples.)

I located my Craisin Raisin Apple Crisp Recipe - omitted the raisins and substituted 2 Pears for 1 Apple.

Pear- Apple Craisin Crisp 
      
Oven Temperature:  375°F
Time:  45 - 50 Minutes

Ingredients:
5- 6 large Apples, peeled & sliced
2 ripened Pears, peeled & sliced
1/4 Cup Craisins
 
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon softened Butter or Margarine


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Spray PAM in 8" x 8" glass pan.
  3. Place peeled/ sliced Apples in pan.
  4. Mix in peeled/ sliced Pears.
  5. Sprinkle in Craisins.
  6. Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients together in small bowl.
  7. Sprinkle this Topping mixture over Apple & Pear slices.
  8. Bake 45- 50 Minutes or until Apples/ Pears are tender. 
  9. Serve warm or chilled with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
  10. When cool, cover & refrigerate any leftovers.
This is a tasty dessert on a winter evening and winter is back!

You may be curious about the 3rd Pear on the top shelf in my fridge!  That remaining fresh Pear was cut into chunks for 2 servings of Spinach Salad with Pears.  A great salad at dinner when tomatoes are not in season in the northeast!  :)

Enjoy!
Yummy!
   

2 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This sounds incredible. I love apple crisp and have an old recipe for apple betty that I used to make a lot. At times like this....I sure miss sugar! heehee! I liked your comment about learning to read! What a cute memory!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- Thanks! Times change and we adapt. :) Sounds like your Apple Betty was a fave!

~Judy