|Hot Hearty Beef Stew|
There were extra portions, so enough for dinner servings (again in two days) was placed in the fridge. Then, the remaining veggie filled stew was packed in 2 cup Ziploc Freezer Containers. Into the freezer they went! These homemade nutritious meals waiting in the freezer are perfect for this time of year. Many "common colds" and other viruses are making their rounds...all part of the season. Very happy that my family members did get our flu shots! There can be a day or two when making dinner is not a top priority. On such a day defrosting a nutritious homemade meal tastes even better.
As in so many parts of our country, my area has felt the low temps along with the frigid wind chill during the days into nights. A bowl of savory steaming stew just hits the spot on a cold night like these past few nights! No, my Slow Cooker was not in use yesterday. A Ziploc Freezer Container of Beef Stew had been placed in the fridge overnight - to defrost - for last night's dinner. As it reheated in a sauce pot on my stove, about 8 oz. of Tomato Sauce was added. Thick, seasoned, hot, hearty Beef Stew tasted great! A slice of Oatmeal Bread dunked into the rich tomato sauce while enjoying the stew...YUM!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew see: recipe posted 1/22/12
Ingredients and Method:
- Spray Slow Cooker's pot with PAM.
- Rinse 1 lb. Baby Carrots in cold water. Place on bottom of pot.
- Rinse about 1 lb. Beef Stewing Meat in cold water. Cut in chunks and place on Carrots.
- Layer (1) 16 oz. pkg. defrosted Mixed Veggies on top.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon Oregano and Basil.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional).
- Add desired amount of chopped Onions and Parsley. (I use dehydrated.)
- Wash (1) Potato and cut into chunks. Add.
- Place (1) 14 oz. can diced Tomatoes on top.
- Top with 28 oz. Tomato Sauce.
- Set Temperature on High for 3 Hours. Reduce to Medium for 1 Hour. With my West Bend Slow Cooker I set to #5 and then reduce to #3 and 1/2.