|"Buggy" Table Runner|
Whenever our young grandsons "bring" their parents over (as our son phrases it), one of my many whimsical table runners cover our coffee table. My African Violets and other treasures find a spot on the mantle and our coffee table becomes a workstation. One must be realistic... African Violets do not rate as high as Thomas the Train and Percy or Duplos do...to a toddler. Last Saturday "the bugs" table runner covered our coffee table. During Thanksgiving time, the flip side of "comical turkeys" will be used!
Coffee Table Runner
To make Pattern:
- Measure table dimensions.
- Subtract 1 and 1/2 inches on each side.
- Make pattern from old newspaper using those dimensions.
- Fold newspaper pattern in half lengthwise.
- Fold in half, again. There will be 4 quarters.
- Cut desired triangle from corners. (This gives the table runner an interesting shape rather than a rectangular shape.)
- Place paper pattern on table and re-size, if needed.
- Cut two pieces from desired fabric. *I always wash/dry fabric first.
- After cutting out, pin "right" sides of fabric together. Leave 3" opening for turning fabric right side out. Stitch using 1/4" seam. (I also zigzag raw edges.)
- Turn right side out and press. Also press raw edges of opening in, to get ready to finish off.
- Stitch small opening closed.
- For extra body, I mark/ pin & topstitch 3" from edges on all sides.
- Optional: Topstitch again 2" or 3" from first topstitching.
- Press when finished.
Last weekend the Bugs were out! The Turkeys are on the flip side of the table runner. They will be used in November! As time goes on, I see Math & Spelling lessons happening! Once a teacher, always a teacher! :)
Now, I'm back to working on my Envelope Pillows!
Do you enjoy sewing for special occasions?
My Janome has been humming!