Friday, August 2, 2013

The Bugs/ Turkeys Table Runner

"Buggy" Table Runner
Whenever I stop into my local Jo-Ann Fabric Store for a specific sewing notion, the vast choice of colorful seasonal whimsical fabric always catches my eye.  One time last summer 1 yard of comical bugs fabric on the bolt was added to my purchase.   Into my stash pile it went.  Now, the bugs fabric and also 1 yard of comical turkey fabric have been combined for a very handy table runner! 

Whenever our young grandsons "bring" their parents over (as our son phrases it), one of my many whimsical table runners cover our coffee table.  My African Violets and other treasures find a spot on the mantle and our coffee table becomes a workstation.  One must be realistic... African Violets do not rate as high as Thomas the Train and Percy or Duplos do...to a toddler.  Last Saturday "the bugs" table runner covered our coffee table.  During Thanksgiving time, the flip side of "comical turkeys" will be used! 

Reversible!
The pattern for a table runner was simple to make.  It was made to order.  Newspaper, scissors, a tape measure and scotch/ masking tape was used.  My Janome was ready!  Now, I use the newspaper pattern over & over again whenever I sew another whimsical table runner.

Coffee Table Runner

To make Pattern:
  1. Measure table dimensions.
  2. Subtract 1 and 1/2 inches on each side.
  3. Make pattern from old newspaper using those dimensions.
  4. Fold newspaper pattern in half lengthwise.
  5. Fold in half, again.  There will be 4 quarters.
  6. Cut desired triangle from corners. (This gives the table runner an interesting shape rather than a rectangular shape.)
  7. Place paper pattern on table and re-size, if needed.
  8. Cut two pieces from desired fabric.  *I always wash/dry fabric first.
  9. After cutting out, pin "right" sides of fabric together.  Leave 3" opening for turning fabric right side out.  Stitch using 1/4" seam.  (I also zigzag raw edges.)
  10. Turn right side out and press.  Also press raw edges of opening in, to get ready to finish off. 
  11. Stitch small opening closed.
  12. For extra body, I mark/ pin & topstitch 3" from edges on all sides.  
  13. Optional:  Topstitch again 2" or 3" from first topstitching.
  14. Press when finished.
***With the Bugs/Turkeys Table Runner, I wanted the comical characters to be visible to the little guys on the two long sides of the coffee table - it would always be facing them.  For that reason, I cut the 1 yard of fabric in half and then sewed the two halves together, with the 2 halves facing opposite directions.  Other wise, it would be upside down on one side of the coffee table, if left as one large piece.  This was done before Step 8.  I prepared the turkeys fabric in the same way before cutting the pattern out.

Last weekend the Bugs were out!  The Turkeys are on the flip side of the table runner.  They will be used in November!  As time goes on, I see Math & Spelling lessons happening!  Once a teacher, always a teacher!  :)

Now, I'm back to working on my Envelope Pillows!

Do you enjoy sewing for special occasions?  

My Janome has been humming!


2 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I started sewing today, too. I get in the mood! Love the table runner, especially the bugs! And I make envelope pillow covers now, too. I have plenty of throw pillows and it's a nice way to change the look! Have fun!

JG said...

Lavender Dreamer- I totally agree! The Envelope Pillows are great - no need to purchase & then sew in a zipper. Easy is best. :)
~Judy