|Summer Meat Sauce|
Today was the perfect day to take out my Slow Cooker! Green Peppers, Eggplant, & Zucchini were in the fridge & easy to wash/ dry/ cut up for the Slow Cooker's pot. A quick trip to our grocery store for the 3/4 pound of Ground Beef & to my pantry made for an easy dinner preparation.
Making a Meat Sauce in a Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) using fresh local vegetables is ideal for this time of year. During our colder winter months it's always so handy to pull out a frozen container of sauce to enjoy over pasta. Much less salt in a sauce prepared this way, too. Whenever possible I use canned tomato sauce & tomatoes that contain less salt when preparing recipes! Chunks of fresh veggies taste so good!
Summer Meat Sauce
2 Green Peppers, cut into chunks or strips
(3/4 lb.) Ground Beef - Brown in skillet, removes fat
(1) large Eggplant - Cut into slices, then into chunks.
(3) small Zucchini - Cut in slices, then in half.
Dehydrated Onion, Parsley - as desired
1/4 teaspoon each Garlic Powder, Oregano & Basil
(1) can Tomatoes - drain, can be whole & cut in quarters or diced
About 28 oz. Tomato Sauce
(1) 6 oz. can Tomato Paste
- Spray Slow Cooker pot with PAM.
- Brown Ground Beef in skillet.
- Rinse all vegetables under cold running water, dry.
- Cut Green Peppers into strips & then in halves. Place in Slow Cooker's pot.
- Add browned Ground Beef.
- Add Eggplant pieces & halved sliced Zucchini pieces.
- Sprinkle on Onions, Parsley, Garlic Powder, Oregano & Basil.
- Add drained cut/diced Tomatoes.
- In small bowl mix Tomato Paste with Tomato Sauce until smooth.
- Add Tomato Sauce/Paste to pot.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook on High (#5) Setting for 4 hours.
- Stir & serve over Pasta of choice.