For so many years whenever I bake this family favorite, 2 breads make their way into my oven. It does not take much time to cut the apples into small chunks for two breads. One "quick" bread is to enjoy for the next few days and the other is cooled/ wrapped/ placed in the freezer. If you're baking one of these tasty breads, then cut the recipe below in half.
Yes, you can use Whole Eggs in this recipe, but I like to bake these breads using Egg Whites. Keep in mind:
1 Whole Egg = 2 Egg Whites when substituting.
Click here for Printable Recipe Card
Oven: 350°F Time: 65 Minutes **Makes Two Loaves
4 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1 & ½ teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
2/3 Cup Olive Oil (for baking & sauteing)
2 Cups Orange Juice
4 Egg Whites
2 Cups finely chopped peeled Apples (5- 7 Apples depending on Apple size)
Cortland or Empire Apples are my faves to use.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add Olive Oil, Orange Juice & Egg Whites (slightly beaten) and stir.
- Add chopped Apple and stir in.
- Then, pour batter into greased pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 65 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle of loaf.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and continue cooling on wire racks.